Provided by: Insidecom srl
Avoid queuing at the St. Mark’s Cathedral
Discover this magnificent cathedral on an exclusive tour that takes you to 2 less-known areas, the Baptistery and the Zen Chapel.
Thanks to an exclusive itinerary, this tour allows you to discover a couple of hidden places in St Mark’s Cathedral, one of the most popular attractions in Venice.
The visit starts in the centre of the church, where you will be comfortably seated as you listen to the fascinating thousand-year long history of the basilica. Then you will be accompanied into two fascinating locations: the Baptistery and the Zen Chapel.
Decorated with remarkable 14th century mosaics, the Baptistery houses the baptismal font, the gravestone of Jacopo Sansovino and the tomb of Andrea Dandolo, Venice’s last Doge buried in St Mark’s Cathedral. Then, move on to the Zen Chapel. Converted into a chapel in honor of the Cardinal Zen, the Zen Chapel was once the entrance into the Cathedral from the shore.
Next, you have a chance to admire the Treasure of St Mark’s Cathedral, housed in two rooms representing the only remaining relics of the former Venice Doge’s Palace. The Treasure, 283 unique pieces of mainly Byzantine and Islamic art, comprises splendid liturgical objects and a collection of reliquaries of the Cathedral.
The visit will then move on to the major altar, which enshrines St Mark’s remains and the magnificent Pala D’Oro, open to the public only during major celebrations. Considered one of the most precious objects in the world, the Pala d’Oro is made of gilded silver strips and decorated with precious stones and enamels.
Languages available From 2 January to 31 March 2017
• English: from Tuesday to Saturday
• Italian: Tuesday, Saturday
•French: Wednesday, Friday
From 1 April to 31 October 2017
• English: from Tuesday to Saturday
• Italian: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
• French: Wednesday, Friday
• Please arrive at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before the tour departure time. At the meeting point you will find our assistants, easily recognizable by an identification badge with 'Insidecom' and their names.
• Access to the Basilica is only permitted to visitors with suitable attire (no shorts or vest or tops) and backpacks are not allowed for safety reasons.
• At the end of the tour you can continue the visit inside St. Mark’s Basilica on your own. However, please note that the church closes at 5pm and therefore participants in the 4pm tour will not have time enough to do that.
• The Procuratoria di San Marco reserves the right to PROHIBIT VISITS and access to the basilica at any time and without notice for reasons of force majeure (e.g. high water) and/or safety reasons.
• In cases of extra liturgical ceremonies, exceptional high tides or other special occasions, access to St Mark's Basilica may not be permitted and therefore the tour will not take place. In case of high water that prevents a normal access to St. Mark's Basilica, ask the Basilica personnel on the spot for directions.
• For reasons of force majeure, the Cappella Zen might be not accessible.
• No credit or refunds will be given in the case of a no show (if you don't show up at the meeting point at the time indicated on your voucher).
• This is a collective tour, which means there might be other participants going on the tour with you.
• Please note that, due to the particular morphological structure of Venice and the logistic problems resulting from it, we cannot guarantee that the whole tour is accessible to people with limited mobility. This means that people with walking difficulties and wheelchair users could not be able to access some parts of the itinerary.
Skip-the-line entry to St Mark's Cathedral
Entry to Treasure of St. Mark's Cathedral
Entry to Pala d'Oro (Golden Pall)
Entry to Zen Chapel (if there is no high water)
Entry to Baptistery